Uncommon Beauty by @GirlSeesArtParasol Projects @ 208 Bowery
Anonymous art blogger and curator @GirlSeesArt and co-curator Jean-Noel Moneton present UNCOMMON BEAUTY, a contemporary group show that challenges traditional notions of beauty, and finds it instead in the unconventional, the strange, and the exceptional.
Beauty is subjective. For each individual, notions of beauty are shaped not only by their culture and society, but also by their experiences and personalities. In Uncommon Beauty, nine contemporary artists explore their subjective beauty ideals through film, collage, portraiture, painting, photography, sculpture, street art, textile design and installation art. Within a primarily female roster, the participants represent four continents, a wide array of cultural viewpoints, and range from emerging to well-established. Participating artists include DAIN, Renee Phillips, Shoshanna Weinberger, Erica Prince, Lara Minerva, Kelsey S Brewer, Ventiko, Jes Gamble, and Joy Kim.
Social media, with its ability to connect the world in new ways, offers an outlet for an increasingly diverse array of voices to be heard by creating international platforms for those who previously had none. @GirlSeesArtuses her contemporary art-centric Instagram account as an effective resource to create opportunities for artists and, therein, exemplify social media’s sway. In fact, two of the show’s artists, neither of whom are NY-based, were identified by the curators through Instagram.
The two-week pop-up show will also feature special events and programming designed to engage the public and educate a wide audience about the artists, their work, and the overarching theme of ‘uncommon beauty.’ These include meditation and yoga sessions, artist talks, Transformational Makeovers and a performance event in which artist Ventiko literally devours a bust of a man made entirely of chocolate.
The opening night’s first 100 guests will receive a signed print of Lara Minerva’s ‘Bloom’ collage, pictured above. The full programming schedule can be found on @GirlSeesArt’s website.
- Thursday, September 28th, OPENING NIGHT, 208 Bowery in Soho, 6 – 10PM
- Saturday, September 30th, 5-elements themed meditation led by yoga guru Ira Ruiz, 11AM – 12PM
- Saturday September 30th, TRANSFORMATIONAL MAKEOVERS by Erica Prince
- Sunday, October 1st, TRANSFORMATIONAL MAKEOVERS by Erica Prince
- Tuesday, October 3rd, Artist talk by Shoshanna Weinberger, 6-7 PM
- Thursday, October 5th, Live performance and film screening by Kelsey Brewer and Ventiko, 7 – 9PM
- Friday, October 6th, TRANSFORMATIONAL MAKEOVERS by Erica Prince
- Saturday, October 7th, TRANSFORMATIONAL MAKEOVERS by Erica Prince
- Sunday, October 8th, WALK IN TRANSFORMATIONAL MAKEOVERS by Erica Prince
Sept 29 – Oct 08
Opening Reception: September 28/ 6-10pm